Labels

Blog Archive

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Marry Me, Korean Beef

Last weekend I was stumped about what to make for dinner each night this week.  Here in Gualala, Mondays and Tuesdays have become crock pot or frozen Costco pizza nights to make evenings easy since we both work those days.  So Sunday I prepared a crock full of pumpkin soup mostly using items from the freezer (pumpkin, black beans, beef stock, tomatoes), amped up with coriander, cumin, and garam masala. I love most soups topped with yogurt and cilantro so I had to buy the latter to complete the meal. The crock moved from the fridge to the cooker at at noon on Monday when I popped out of work for an errand.  I love living 2 minutes from work!

Typically, I base my short term meal planning on some ingredient that I will have on hand for a desired dish, just to use it up. Not knowing what else to make for the week and being without our CSA box until spring, I went to my Pinterest recipes board to get some ideas.  I spied something that made me remember a Korean beef recipe on my friend's blog AND a similar recipe in a magazine for Thai beef. I liked aspects of both, so I combined them.  Since I omitted key Thai ingredients like fish sauce and basil, it ended up tasting more like Korean food.

And....it was amazing.  Dave liked it so much that he had a second small serving instead of his piece of candy from the advent calendar.  Yeah, it was that good. Thank you, Leah, for posting your Korean beef recipe on your blog a few months back!

The pictures I took were terrible because it was already dark out and our kitchen lighting SUCKS.  But trust me, you should make this.
You can't see it in this crappy picture, but it was a very pretty meal since I used yellow and red bell pepper. This would be excellent made for a pot luck.
Korean Beef (with spinach)

Beef

  • 1.5 T oil
  • 1 t sesame oil
  • 1/2 t (or more) red pepper flakes
  • 6 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
  • 1.5 pounds ground beef, 15-20% fat
  • 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup beef or chicken stock
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 2 t minced ginger
  • 3 cups packed spinach, whole leaves (although I would double that next time)
Salad

  • 2 medium carrots, julienned
  • 1/2 cucumber, seeded and julienned
  • 1 bell pepper, julienned
  • Handful of cilantro, chopped
  • 2 scallions, sliced thinly
  • Juice of 2 limes
  • 1 t sugar
  • 1 t sesame oil
  • 1 t sesame seeds (garnish)
  • More pepper flakes (garnish)

In a large skillet, heat oils on high, cook pepper flakes and garlic for just 30 seconds. Add beef and flatten out on bottom of skillet for maximum browning. Brown heavily, 8-10 minutes.

Add soy sauce, stock, sugar, and ginger and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and scrap up brown bits from bottom of pan. Fold in spinach and let wilt, about 2 minutes.

Remove from heat to a warmed oven until ready to serve.

Make the salad by mixing all ingredients together.

Serve beef over rice and top with salad and garnishes.

Even Eddie liked it!  But first he insisted on cutting up his salad.
I hope the rest of the week is just as yummy!  (Although I doubt anything could top that beef...)  We're using up the left over rice as a substitute for pasta in a tuna salad served inside romaine heart leaves tonight.  Tomorrow we'll use up some frozen corn for corn cakes with goat cheese since we have everything on hand for that, including locally made fresh goat cheese.  Mmmm.  I wriggled my way onto a local goat cheese maker's email list and picked up my first batch last week. It's really good.

3 comments:

Leah said...

Looks so yummy, especially with the veggie salad! I'll have to add that next time. I made a "drunken pasta" last night that had everyone in our house going back for seconds, will try to post the recipe later :)

Leah said...

Also, two blog posts in a week?? You're on a roll ;-)

steph.kelley said...

Sounds divine! And the title of the post cracks me up.