Labels

Blog Archive

Monday, November 17, 2008

Mommy is Home!

Dave and I got to pick my mom up from the hospital on Friday night after eating dinner with my dad at Emil Villa's (where else would we eat?).

Her chest drainage tube was removed on Thursday after the third medication injection did its magic and stopped the fluid build-up. By the time we arrived in her hospital room she'd already packed up her stuff into a box and a few grocery bags labeled "personal belongings." She was still in her hospital gown because the nurse still needed to remove the needle from her breast where the chemotherapy is pumped in.

After all that was taken care of the nurse came in with a bunch of papers for her to sign and review--things like OTC medications to purchase, doctors' phone numbers, and when she should schedule appointments with her new collection of physicians. I will have to scan them later so we'll have a more permanent record--all these forms are hard to read carbon copies.

I can't say that she was super excited to leave the hospital. In fact, she admitted to trying to convince the doctor to let her stay another night but he wouldn't let her! She said being in the hospital was so nice because it was like being in a hotel. I keep reassuring her that I will take care of cleaning the house every weekend and she won't have to prepare her own meals. In time she'll see that being back at the house will be calm and relaxing for her.

While she was gone at the hospital my dad, Dave, and I tackled the HUGE mess that was our house. My mom had basically never thrown anything out since I was born. Most rooms were so cluttered that they were impassable. I honestly don't know where it all came from--the house wasn't that cluttered when I was in high school. Anyway, we worked for about 10 hours a day for 4 full weekends. And the house is looking darn near perfect. We still have two rooms to deal with, but we're so close. I was a little worried that she'd be angry when she saw that all the stuff was gone (mostly thrown away or donated; only useful and sentimental stuff kept) but she seemed really pleased. I think it was so close to completely cleaned that she figured there was no use in complaining. She actually got into the spirit and helped me clear out her medicine cabinets and go through old clothes in her closet!

We were very careful and considerate when rearranging the furnishings in the house, keeping in mind her preferences. I made her room look like a bed-and-breakfast, complete with wall sconces, an antique secretary, and floral pictures. She really, really liked it. She always wanted a fancy guest room in the house so we turned Edward's room into one, using her parent' matching maple bed frame and dresser, which we paired with my other grandparents' maple nightstands and brass lamps.

My old bedroom is my dad's new computer and ammunition reloading room (charming, I know). The room has no windows, only a skylight so it is good for projects and less good for sleeping-in, trust me. We'll get an oak Murphy Bed for Dave and me to sleep on when we visit (I'm becoming very familiar with all things Murphy it seems!). I've requested a queen size since our dogs will insist on sleeping with us in the bed.

Having my mom home has been so wonderful for me. I love hearing her shuffle around the house because it makes me remember that cancer is not her most overwhelming trait. Hearing her doing regular things around the house like chat on the phone, get a glass of water, flip through a magazine, and brush her teeth remind me that cancer does not define her.

She's still very weak and becomes short of breath when she walks around the house. Her strength will return as she gains weight and continues to exercise her muscles by walking around.

Prayers are still needed as she continues to receive her chemo treatments, and cards sent to her in the mail are always welcome. I appreciate the kind words and prayers from everyone that we've received so far. It has has helped so, so much.

No comments: