Labels

Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

How does your garden grow?

We planted our winter garden back in late September and have been lucky to enough to eat from it since before Thanksgiving. The turnip and collard greens have been abundant in our kitchen. Since these are the young leaves they don't require much cooking; we prefer them lightly sauteed with cooked bacon or ham. They also work well in soups.

Here's a poem I wrote about myself. The only problem is that pole beans are not a winter crop. Any suggestions?

Julie, Julie, quite unruly
How does your garden grow?
With turnip greens, and blue pole beans,
And cabbages all in a row.

I took these pictures this morning:

Turnip, collard, and mustard greens:
Broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts (Allison had better come for a visit to help me eat the latter):Beets of two varieties and carrots:
Cabbage patch kids--just kidding! Here we have Chinese cabbage and head cabbage:
A few weeks ago I also planted a few climbing roses near the gates and they've finally started to sprout. This is exciting because it means that I didn't kill them AND that we'll have some beautiful greenery to cover the arches over each gate come summertime.

1 comment:

Elizabeth M said...

Ok, well Ms Julie the only comment I have is that your yard looks like you must live somewhere semi-warm, cuz' here in good ole' Idaho, I haven't had a garden since oh lets say mid September? Oh and we turn off our sprinklers at about that time too. On the bright side, though, I haven't had to mow my lawn or weed since than either!