Labels

Blog Archive

Friday, February 15, 2008

Reincarnation As A Shower Curtain

Right after we became engaged in Paris, my mom bought Dave and I some Paris bedding from my favorite catalog, Garnet Hill. We had a queen bed then but upgraded to an eastern king sized bed once we realized there’d never be enough room on a queen for two humans and two dogs (who also require their own pillows, mind you). Since I gave Edward and Allison our queen bedroom furniture this past summer we’ve not been using these cute sheets at all.

This is what the bedding looked like (from the Garnet Hill catalog):

So I decided to turn them into a shower curtain for our hall bathroom. (If my mom is reading this, I bet she’s having a fit: “She did WHAT with those nice sheets I bought for them?! Tisk. Why would she go and ruin such pretty sheets like that?”) But I think she’ll be pleased to see how it came out and how it looks hanging in that blue bathroom. We already had Moulin Rouge prints hanging in that bathroom (that’s where Dave proposed...at the Moulin Rouge, not in the bathroom...) so it all “came together” with this new curtain.

I used some neat trim and some ribbon I found amongst all the sewing stuff I inherited from my late Grandma so it wouldn’t just look like I hung an old sheet up.

The remaining material from the sheets and duvet cover will probably come back to life as curtains for our gray-walled office. We’re thinking of painting vertical stripes on the walls of the office to make it look taller—we’ll use the same color of gray but in a different finish (we have satin up now so perhaps we’ll use a semi-gloss).

I might also refashion a red king duvet cover I got for our bed so that the center of the duvet is Paris print. My intent for buying the red duvet set was to (try to) mask the dirt and grim the dogs bring into our bed everyday. Potatoes is the main culprit--right after he's done going potty after breakfast he runs straight back into the bed and snoozes in one of the human spots (it is still warm and he adores ANYTHING that smells like Mama or Daddy--yes, even our dirty clothes.) Because he's a boy (not because he's a dog...) his paws are especially prone to coming back in trailing leaves and clumps of dirt. The red duvet DOES mask the dirt, but not all the white hair. So it ends up looking messier than if I just used one our girly pastel floral duvets where the paw prints just sort of blend in with the flowers. I know some of you are probably completely grossed out, but that's just life with dogs. And when you know your dogs are angels sent directly from Heaven (as mine are, of course) then you just take it as your Earthly duty to deal with dirty paws in your bed. =o)

No comments: