Labels

Blog Archive

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Older and Wiser

Well, I'm another year older as of yesterday. I've realized that being on the quarter system here in grad school really stinks because my birthday always ends up during finals week. Last year I had my soil organic matter final on my big day; it was a take-home exam so I took myself to IHOP for pancakes while I worked on it. Lucky for me my only final this quarter isn't until Saturday morning. I might throw a party after it's done, just to celebrate the END OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY! I had dreaded this class ever since college and for good reason: it is hard and horrible. Useful, I'm sure, but that excuse doesn't make it any more fun when I have to spend hours slogging through calculus derivations of the Maxwell distribution.

This year, like last, Dave was working until really late so we didn't really do anything. My realization that birthday celebrations mean less and less as you get older is more apparent than ever. Boo. Although, come to think of it, my parents raised me believing that birthdays weren't all that special anyway so I don't know what I'm complaining about. Most years our birthdays were/are celebrated MONTHS after the real date due to financial or scheduling issues.

Dave got home so late last night that by the time we arrived at the sushi restaurant I wanted to eat at, they weren't serving anything except the remainders of their "all you can eat" buffet for $17/person. Ha! Yeah right, like I was going to eat left over raw fish for that much money. We had to settle for mediocre Mediterranean food instead. Hopefully when my parents come in a few weeks we can celebrate my and Dave's birthday's (he'll be 26 on April 8) properly--with good food and some cake!

Allison and Edward were very sweet to me at 9pm on March 18--as soon as it turned 12am in their time zone (eastern standard time) they both messaged me in Gmail chat to wish me a happy birthday. It was funny how clever they thought they were. =o) Allison also posed Emmy for a darn cute birthday picture, which really made my day.

Dave and I were 22 when we became engaged, 24 when we were married, and 25 when we bought our first house...I wonder what exciting thing will happen during our 26th year? I can't wait to find out!

2 comments:

Kaitlin said...

...oh i know i know! 26th year = parenthood....that's all you got left!!! better get crackin'!!

ps...happy birthday late!! wait until parenthood hits...you won't remember anyone else's bday let along your own!

Elizabeth M said...

don't worry about the bday thing...reagan's is sunday (she will be two) and my mom's is monday (she will not be two) and totally forgot both of theirs! my mom was sent a card (both a bday and an easter one) today and reagan is just getting presents (no card)..they are only wrapped b/c maddie insisted they had to be and then my birthday is three days after maddie's so i really forget about it too. just go buy yourself something expensive! nice idea by kaitlin, though...