Labels

Blog Archive

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Part-Time Nannying

I was just offered a part-time nannying position during fall quarter for a professor who works upstairs from me. He's a member of my graduate group and his wife is, too. I've watched their darling baby boy, Teo, on occasion in the past.

Before I accepted the 2 afternoons/week job, I mentioned the possibility to Vic (my research professor). He told me that my time is much more valuable here in the lab, but he understands that I need to keep-on with my life (he also understands that Dave is between real jobs so any extra income is helpful). I told him that I love the feeling of interacting with children when I'm in stressful classes because I know that every day Teo will be nothing short of deliriously happy to see me. (If you've ever nannied like I have, both you and the kids start to look forward to seeing each other on a regular basis. At that point it is a "joy" not a "job.") Vic tried to reassure me by saying "Don't worry, I'm always happy to see you, Julie!" The look I shot him clearly said "that's nice, but it isn't quite the same effect, Vic".

So now I'll be Nanny Julie again! Yay! I'm so excited for the fall quarter now! (Not that knowing I get to take transition metals chemistry isn't exciting enough...)

No comments: