Labels

Blog Archive

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Can't Wait!

I'm so excited for the Thanksgiving holiday--not only because I get to make a delicious meal but also because we get to spend 4 whole days with my parents and our doggies. (They've had to stay with my in-laws every weekend thus far.) We've seen my parents every weekend for the last, what, 6 weeks, but it is always so brief and we're always so busy. This time we'll (hopefully) have some down-time to hang around together in the family room with a firing going. There are some holiday movies out that my mom is interested in seeing...so maybe a movie, too. We'll see.

Last weekend Dave and I took a huge cooler full of all the Thanksgiving ingredients we've been hoarding away in our deep freeze over the last year. I'm making an almost-completely locally grown meal. The turkey is a heritage variety from the Central Valley; all the fruit for pies is from my in-laws orchard or wildlands around their house; many of the herbs are from my garden; the greens are from my garden and from a farm in Winters; we'll make homemade bread for the stuffing; wild mushrooms picked up in Gualala. It is going to be delicious! We can even drink home-pressed mulled apple cider.

Dave has to work a full day up in Gualala today and won't get into Davis until about 10pm. I have TONS of lab work to do (so why am I wasting time writing a blog post?) and an experiment to run before I leave tonight. I could have put it off even longer and waited until next week but I just want to get it done.

Ok...time for a meeting...then class...then lunch...then back to the lab to leach my composts with salt solution. Fun! Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!