Labels

Blog Archive

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day

Since today is a UC holiday, I got to baby sit little Teo all day. We had a fabulous day together...I don't know where our 9 hours went!

In the morning I put him in the backpack and hauled him around the kitchen while I made a loaf of olive bread. Then after his morning nap we loaded all the plastic recycling into the stroller and walked over to the Second Street recycling place. I brought all of my own plastic recycling stuff, too, but inadvertently left it in my bike basket so I'll have to drop mine off tomorrow. It sure would be nice if we could dump ALL plastics into the curbside bins. I don't know about other cities but in Davis the garbage people only pick up numbers 1 and 2. It's not that big of a deal but I eat a lot of cottage cheese and yogurt and all those containers are number 6.

As most of you know by now, Dave and I spend every weekend in Livermore now. We're there to see my mom for a few hours everyday in the hospital and the rest of our time is spent cleaning out her house. I can't even count the number of bags of trash and donation stuff we've hauled away. Once all the junk is gone we're left with pretty much a blank slate in each room--we decided a new couch was in order for the family room since the one we had was old, orange, and falling apart. I love shopping for home furnishings--so much so that Dave has to keep reminding me to "focus!" and stop looking for stuff for our own house.

I did buy one thing for our house: an amazing wooden rocking chair. It is big and has great back support. I looooooooooooooooove it. I've been keeping an eye out for a nice one for when we have a baby (don't get your hopes up...we're not having a baby any time soon...I just like to plan ahead). Many rocking chairs and gliders sold at baby stores are cheaply made, fall apart in a short amount of time, and are too small for bottle feeding or nursing. When I worked at the church baby nursery in college we had various gliders from Babys R Us and they were such junk! The support rails fell off, the hardware broke, and they were too small to hold a grown woman, a boppy pillow, and a baby all at the same time. Ridicilous, if you ask me. Anyway, my new rocking chair is sturdy, comfortable, and large. Dave helped me haul it into the living room on Sunday before he drove up to Gualala. I've been enjoying it while watching TV ever since.

No comments: