Labels

Blog Archive

Monday, January 23, 2012

Icelandic Lamb Soup

Kjotsupa! It pairs nicely with buttered, toasted bread.
For my dad's birthday meal we made a leg of lamb but had about 1 cup of meat left on the bone. So I Googled "lamb soup" and discovered that Iceland is known for a soup called Kjotsupa.

You can Google the recipe (there are hundreds since this soup is much like chicken noodle in that everyone has their own favorite proportions). Most recipes I found call for using water but I made stock from the remaining lamb bone so you'll see, below, that my measuring bowl if full of lamb stock.  It is very plain soup, in my opinion. Everything is boiled so there aren't levels of flavor from browning the onion or anything. But it is still pretty tasty and is very inexpensive and easy.

I used purple potatoes and leeks since that was I had.
And turnips instead of rutabegas since I had some mature ones in the front yard garden.


1 comment:

steph.kelley said...

Thumbs up for tubers!....and lamb yumyumyum.