Labels

Blog Archive

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Job Update

After much online searching, a couple of interviews, and a lot of time working with a recruiter Dave still has not found a job in/near Davis. That stupid Big Four accounting firm he worked for set him up to either be overqualified or underqualified for every dang job available! For the meantime he's decided to work up in Gualala (4 hours north of here) for his dad's company while he continues his job search down here. We're really lucky to have his dad as a "fall back plan." Except that it isn't so much of a fall back plan as it is a plan. We'll both be working for him sooner or later, so why not start now?

Over the years he's worked for his dad a lot, doing everything and anything needed. Everything, that is, except learn the inner workings and infrastructure of the handful of entities that encompass "the company." He made a deal with his dad that he'll get to spend at least 1 day a week in the summer and 2 days a week in the winter (since it is slower then) working in the water company office to learn how to run the company. Our long-term plan is to move up to Gualala in a few years (once I'm done with my degree...so that could be a while yet!) to take over the company. That's a really big commitment to the entire family and he'd like to get a head start.

Being an accountant, Dave figured out that it will cost him considerably less in fuel and wear/tear on his car to drive to/from Gualala once a week than it did for his short, daily commute into Sacramento for his last job.

Our plan it that each of us will keep a dog during the week so we don't get lonely (rather so that I don't get lonely OR overwhelmed by having two dogs to cuddle/feed/cuddle/walk/clean up poop for/cuddle). Since Ruby is a mama's girl she'll stay with me here in Davis. We're good at moaping around the house together wishing Dave were home. =o) My mother-in-law agreed to watch Potatoes during the day. I could tell from her tone that she wasn't totally thrilled at the idea (he's an escape artist, but always comes back at dinner time). Potatoes melts my heart and I'm sure he'll become her favorite pooch soon enough. As long as he stays off her bed...which will be difficult for him to do.

As much as I hate the idea of Dave being away from Davis for 4 days a week, I'm really happy that he'll be doing work that he loves. He hated his last job almost as much as I hated it (and that was a LOT). All I really want is for him to be happy with his work--even if it means that he he has to move north. I should consider myself lucky--there are so many military families with one or both parents deployed to the Middle East. At least I know Dave will be safe and happy and coming home every weekend to see me. That being said, someone please remind me to reread this post when I start getting crabby that he's not home when the dishwasher breaks or there's a huge spider in the bathroom that I have to smoosh by myself. =o)

1 comment:

Kaitlin said...

:( we're keeping up the prayers for you