Labels

Blog Archive

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Seeds Are Sown

Whew...the wind is really picking up. And it is getting dark. But I feel good because I just planted the first set of seeds in the empty beds for our winter garden. (I planned-out the whole layout in my gardening diary. Yes, I know that's dorky.)

I just pulled my third trial-loaf of gluten-free bread out of the oven. I'm experimenting with this type of bread for my friend John, whose girlfriend thinks be might be gluten-intolerant. For years he thought he was lactose-intolerant but after some research, she thinks it might just be a wheat allergy. Hopefully she's wrong because most of the non-gluten breads I've had have been nasty and chewy. I already made 2 loaves last week using different flours and gluten alternatives (xanthum gum and guar gum) combinations but they were so dense and gooey that I tossed them into the garbage:
This third loaf looks much better; it rose up just like real wheat bread. Once it is cool I will taste it and will report back on the texture and flavor.

Third time's a charm, I hope:

2 comments:

erin said...

i planted vegetables for my first time ever this past summer. i wish i had some place to grow some stuff this winter. im jealous!

Tina said...

oh no! that sucks for john! so sweet of you to try to find an alternative!