Labels

Blog Archive

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Wind

It's been soooooooooooooo windy here lately.  

Every week for the last month we've had 1-3 days of intense winds.  I know it's been a whole month because it always seems to happen on Tuesdays, which has been my afternoon to go for a run for the last four weeks.  Running sucks.  Wind sucks.  Running in the wind super sucks.  Like, super duper sucks.  Lucky for me, I don't have allergies too badly.  Dave (and many, many other people here in Davis) have extremely bad allergies.  There's something about Davis that makes it particularly dusty and windy and allergen-filled.  Ug.

This dry wind makes me cranky.  Being outside in it for more than an hour exhausts me--just having the wind slap across my face really takes it out of me (not to mention the drying of my skin).  

Biking in it is near impossible.  There have been a few times when I've considered hopping off and just walking because I'm hardly moving.  

It's a battle to keep the plants watered in the garden.  Many of our apricots have fallen off the tree over the last month.  

And while I can't blame the wind directly, Eddie's nosebleed incidents have increased over the last month.  I've opted to drive the 3 miles to school instead of bike in this wind, just as a preventative measure against his nosebleeds.  But of course, we are stuck with Dave's no-AC Saturn so the windows have to be down when we drive.  So...I'm not sure it makes much of a difference if we drive or bike at this point (besides the intense workout of my leg muscles).

Gawd, just look at these weather reports:


I drove Eddie to daycare this morning and then went to find parking on campus.  There was NONE on my side of campus except for meters.  I don't want to have to move the car after 2 hours, especially since I'm just grading today and don't really need to be on campus.  So I came back home.  Hopefully the wind will have died down enough to bike by 3 when I head back to campus to teach.  

I HATE YOU, WIND. IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE HERE, AT LEAST BE KIND ENOUGH TO BRING SOME PRECIPITATION WITH YOU!  Now, go the eff away.  No one likes you.

No comments: