Labels

Blog Archive

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Huckleberry Season

That same weekend in Gualala Dave made mini pancakes for my breakfast. They were so yummy! Then on Sunday morning we headed outside to pick wild huckleberries along the road.

For whatever reason, the berries this year were much smaller than usual and sorta tasteless if you ask me. I’m not such a fan of these berries because they are so much work. Picking them isn’t so bad; you just pull your hand down the stem, letting the berries all into your bucket.

Cleaning them is the worst. You know how grapes have little stems that connect each berry to the bigger stem? And sometimes when you pull a grape off the bunch, that little stem stays on the grape? Imagine that but with tick-tack sized berries. No one likes eating stems so when you clean them you not only have to remove all the bark and leaves, but also these tiny stems.

My mother-in-law’s method for cleaning huckleberries is pretty efficient at doing this: you dump a few cups of berries onto a clean kitchen towel that is laid out on the table in front of you. You pick out the biggest pieces of debris, and scoot the clean berries towards you. By rolling the berries along the towel most of those annoying little stems come right off. Of course, my dad-in-law decided to go do something else while Dave and I cleaned our berries so we ended up having to clean his as well!

All clean:

And what do you do with all these berries? I made a cake and a pie:

2 comments:

Elizabeth M said...

That looks like a lot of work! No wonder huckleberry jam is more expensive than others! Of course as usual I read your blog and then want some sort of dessert. I think I have some Halloween Oreos in my pantry, but not going to be the same as that cake! It looks delicious.

Kaitlin said...

seriously....you have too much energy! you make me feel like such a loser!!