Labels

Blog Archive

Friday, October 3, 2008

Leaving on a Jet Plane

Tomorrow morning Dave and I are meeting my dad at SFO so we can fly down to Georgia for my great uncle's funeral. He passed away yesterday afternoon.

Making life even more miserable for me is my recent head cold. I haven't been sick like this since I baby sat full time in college (children in child care are vectors for all sorts of illnesses--gross!). Since I'm now on school insurance, I had to brave the ghetto UCD health center to see a doctor. She was understanding about congested sinuses on pressurized airplanes and gave me medication to take if my condition worsens and a handy device I've dubbed a "nasal douche." It is a little bottle of saline solution that you squirt up your nose, one nostril at a time, then blow all the ickiness out into a tissue. You can feel the solution swirl up into the sinues cavities in your forehead (like when you would accidentally breath in clorinated swimming pool water as a kid). It clears your sinuses and then....tada! You can breath easy. Plus it flushes out all the virus/bacteria-containing muscus so you recover faster. Genius. (I'm going to take some decongestant before boarding, just to ensure that my head won't explode mid-flight.)

Edward and Allison are driving down from NY (with Emmy in tow) and will pick us up from the airport. We'll spend a week down there--after going all the way down there, we figured we might all as well have a good time seeing each other.

I have a lot to do before going to bed tonight (packing, cleaning the house so our new roomie doens't think we're slobs, get the doggies' stuff ready for Aunt Bernie and Uncle Michael to pick them up, gather all my homework and textbooks for the plane ride, and take out the garbage).

Jeez...this week has really been crappy.

No comments: