Labels

Blog Archive

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Future Soil Scientist?

Gah...this kid makes me sooooooooo happy! Look at how much he loves playing in the dirt. I love watching him discover the feeling of dirt and rocks between his pudgy little toes and fingers.
I'm always hearing about how so many kids these days have allergies that we just didn't have to bother with growing up. I think a lot of it has to do with what I call "Lysol parents"--those germ-phobic parents who are always wiping down the house and the kids with disinfectant/anti-microbial wipes. ENOUGH! If kids are not exposed to some amount of germs when they are young, then their bodies will not be able to handle it when they do EVENTUALLY come in contact with them.

The earlier kids can be exposed to pathogens in soil, the sooner their bodies will start making antibodies against them, and the stronger their immune systems will be.

I don't know about other folks, but Dave and I ate a LOT of dirt when I was a kid--mud pies anyone? We were exposed to animals and our parents did not freak out when they caught us chewing on the bottom of a work boot or on a rock. Kids will be kids, after all.

Like us, most of our peers don't suffer from insane allergies to peanuts, medicines, plants, etc. Although a lot of that is probably genetic, much of it is probably epigenetic (meaning that what happens to our bodies affects the way our genetic code responds). It is also a "use it or lose it" issue: if a young, capable body never has the opportunity to make antibodies against nasty antigens (like germs in dirt) then as it gets older it just won't be able to make them.

Okay, I'm stepping off my soapbox. =)

2 comments:

steph.kelley said...

Yep — your kid is what we call a "keeper." :P Love the shot of E and Gpop grinning large together!

Ms. said...

LOL Man, that should mean that Andrew should never be sick. Maybe I'll send it out more often.

And you totally now little Eddie is going to be a ballet dancer, or something just because you guys are outdoor people. lol. no. no.