Labels

Blog Archive

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

70 Years Ago Today

It is hard to believe that it was 70 years ago today that Pearl Harbor was attacked. That seems like so long ago, only because I wasn't alive then. But on the day I was born, it had only been 39 short years before. And thinking of events that occurred 40 years before today seem pretty recent, all things considered.

Anyway, it got me thinking about my Grandma Avis, Grandpa Jake, and Great Uncle Walter. While these brave men fought in the war, Grandma waited (im)patiently for them to come home. And it took a while for my grandpa, who was a POW and survived the Bataan Death March. Ouf, terrible stuff. You can read his obituary here and my uncle's obituary here.

2 comments:

Leah said...

Its amazing to think about that day and try to put yourself back in that time. Sadly, we know somewhat of what it was like with 9/11 and all. With San Diego being such a big military hot bed, we see veterans everywhere (along with active duty, of course). Twice I've seen cars with a license plate frame reading "Pearl Harbor Survivor" - its moving, humbling, everything. Thanks for the post and the reminder, Julie.

steph.kelley said...

Profound thanks to your servicemen. I know a little more about PH, Bataan, and WWII in general from watching The World at War series — twenty-some episodes and each one fascinating, something to make one appreciate these times we live in. Hugs -- xoxoxo